Journey of a National Guard Soldier going Active

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

OPSEC, and a cool site

Ever since I started this blog, I've always had to think twice about what I wrote when it came to stuff about the military. The Army is has a bad case of paranoia schizophrenia, but then again its understandable and I agree with them. CBFTW got an earful due to OPSEC and many more might too, and I foresee an incident in the near future where a soldier unintentionally says a little to much without realizing it and gets fried under UCMJ for it. Ever since I got here to "Camp bootystar", there's been alotta stuff that I wanted to talk about, gripe about, but couldn't due to my concern for OPSEC. You never know what information the I take for granted and think is nothing, might be gold for the enemy...lol..I was about to write Haji. I remember when I first got to country, I said I would never demean them like that and call them that; Haji. the definition of Haji is "a pilgrim who takes a journey to Mecca"It's supposedly a prestigious title and not to be used lightly, but it's like everyday slang here, and it's hard to stop yourself from saying it. Some of the Nationals here don't even care that we call them that. Oh well, just a thought.

I also wanted to add a little something, kind of an "hindsight is 20/20" kind of comment to yesterday's post. I don't mean to offend everyone that is a civilian when I say that you have no idea what it's like out here. I meant to aim that comment solely to the "pricks" of society. We all know at least one of those kinds of people. "That Guy". and also those idiots you see on TV shows who seem like they know what they're talking about when in reality they're talking out of their asses. Don't buy their crap. I wasn't trying to put the average american down, by all means, please continue your support, keep sending care packages, keep telling the parents of soldiers that you're proud of them. I got care package from a lady I didn't even know and it warmed my heart to know that someone will take the time and money to show their thanks. I got cards from little kids saying thanks and asking to write back; I did, how couldn't I. They might not know what this war about at all, but those kids and the lady who actually "Show" their thanks are infinitely better than the half-ass "patriotic" american that are doing their everyday thing showing their supposed patriotism only when its convenient and because it's the thing that everyone is doing. I saw alotta that bullshit before I left home. Half hearted talks about I support the troop, just so no one will think less of them. I would respect you more if you just told me that you don't give a shit.

But ya, for all those people that would like to help a soldier out here in theater but don't know how. Check out this website: http://anysoldier.com/index.cfm . I even signed up for it, I won't tell you who I am, but feel free to pick a soldier and send him things. The soldier that signs up for this is just the messenger, he fills out a form and represents a number of soldiers from his unit, ranging from squad sized all the way up to even company sized. You can find out where they are stationed, their living conditions and little tid bits about them. It's a neat site. It's got Airmen, Marines, and Sailors too, but mostly Army Soldiers.

Other than that, it's back to the motor pool for another episode of "Junkyard Wars meets Mad Max meets U.S. Army. - The Regulators (that's who we are)

"We regulate any stealing of his propertyAnd we damn good tooBut you can't beat any geek off the street,Gotta be handy with the steel If you know what I mean, earn your keep. "
REGULATORS! Mount up!

-----Warren G : Regulators

1 Comments:

Blogger JulieB said...

Wooohooo! Glad to hear you got a package and letters. I have participated in the "AnySoldier" web-site for awhile, and no I'll not tell you who I am either. Glad to hear you liked it. Another link is for SoldiersAngels.com They connect individuals with individual soldiers. I write to a couple - one in Afghanistan and one in Iraq.
Anyway I'm glad to hear you signed up as well.
And I'll send you hugs from everyone here.
Julie

12/15/2004 10:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home