Journey of a National Guard Soldier going Active

Thursday, December 23, 2004

a sad day, and yet a little cheer in the end

I don't even know where to begin. It's a horrific event, that no words of mine can make sense of. Pure sadness, grief and anger is coursing through my heart, my mind, and I'm not even there. I wish to god that he would take back yesterday's tragedy. free will right? scoff.

Here is a site I found of an Army chaplain that was at the FOB; http://chaplain.blogspot.com/

there are too many thoughts and emotions, I really can't write about it anymore. I've been thinking about it all day today, thinking about the dead, the injured, the parents back home, the media, the eerieness of it all. Maybe it's wrong, but sitting at the chow hall tonight, eating a normal meal, chatting about the normal nonsense with other soldiers, brought on a certain, creepiness (i don't know if that's the proper word for it). All those soldiers were going through the same motions, one moment chatting about going BS, the next....

I dunno. It makes me question religion in all it's supposed good. I mean, in the "divine plan", was that really neccesary? Ya ya, the good ole line of, "God works in mysterious ways" or "God has a plan" maybe I'm narrow minded but that's a fucked up plan in my opinion (but then again, what the hell do I know compared to the almighty right?) What's the point? The usual answer I get when I ask a religious person = FAITH. I dunno. I do believe in god, but....

Thank god for mail though, which was a real pick me up. Remember when I posted about the "anysoldier" website and all that? well..ya.. when I signed up for that I was expecting probably like a package a week, or a few letters a week, nothing big. Yesterday afternoon (mail call at 1:30 pm) I got 2 big ass boxes of beanie babies that an elemetary school sent me to give to the Iraqi kids. HUUUGE boxes, I mean at least 50 of em. It was insane. I had laugh in disbelief. I plan on giving them out to the Iraqi kids and take pictures and send it to the school. I also gave some to the dads here in my platoon to send back their kids. Today however, was just absolutely ridiculous, I got like at least 15 pieces of letter,care packages and whatnot. I passed em out to people in my platoon. But seriously though, there's like a few thousand people (I think) signed up for anysoldier, and I got this much myself? Makes me realize that there are seriously ALOT of people that are showing their support, and that's really awesome. I plan on writing some of these folks back when I have time. But really though, that helped me out alot.

Please pray for the families of the fallen, and also pray for the injured, as well as the other survivors that had to witness such a thing.

I guess that's really about it. I got a mission tomorrow, supposed to be a short one, it's a "show of force" type of mission in a city up north.

Guess that's about it

"A person who chooses to die or to risk death demonstrates that there are values, principles, maxims, that are more valuable to him than is life itself. In short, he places his immortal self above his mortal self. Nothing goes by luck in composition. It allows of no tricks. The best you can write will be the best you are. "
--Henry David Thoreau

"While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil."
--John Taylor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home