Journey of a National Guard Soldier going Active

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

"Another Day, Another KD"

That's what one of the TCN's (Third Country National) at the chow hall said to me tonight when I said what's up to him. I'm pretty friendly with some of the guys there. KD is kuwaiti dollars. Got back Today from LSA Anaconda. THAT PLACE IS FRICKIN HUGE, it's not no puny fob or camp, it's the size of a frickin college campus. It was my first trip up. The ride up there was pretty uneventful, I got to finally drive through downtown bagdhad, pretty cool to me. I was gunner for most of the mission, I LOVE BEING GUNNER, at first I wasn't that big a fan of it, but now it's my true love. Once we got to Anaconda it was prtty much off for the day after cleaning our weapons. Heard they have a frickin full size theater there, guess anaconda's suppose to have like 30,000 people there or sumthing, I dunno if that's a stretch, probably is but, it's believable.
But for the record, there is no such thing as a good night's sleep there, Mortars, Mortars and more Mortars, followed by annoying ass alarms that does nothing but let the enemy know that they hit something, WE ALL HEAR THE IMPACTS...HOW THE HELL DOES SOUNDING THE ALARM "AFTER" THE IMPACTS HELP AT ALL. It was real disconcerting, but then you got used to the sound and can kinda gauge how close it was. It ranged about one every half hour or so. None really hit close to my tent.

We had a CNN cameraman riding with us on this mission, well, with the trans co. that we were protecting. I wonder if I'll be on TV...lol...Hey ma...look..look. On the way back we knda drove through a firefight, we were on the highay headin back (it was still dark) and we were passing an MP check point, when all of a sudden we saw green tracers (AK rounds) come our way, the mic lit up with everyone's chatter CONTACT RIGHT CONTACT RIGHT, I was TC (shotgun) and so I was facing where the fire was coming from, I was ready to rock. Well, about 60 yds ahead of me I saw some of our guys fire 50. cal back at the enemy. When we were told to roll on through, and we all got situated, we realize that no one form our convoy fired anything, it was the MP's that were there that fire at em, we stopped (dunno why..i'm juss a private) and kinda just watched the 5 second exchange of fire. I originally thought it was the lead gun truck (I was middle) that fired at the enemy, cuz in our convoy only the GT had 50. cals. I dunno, other than that another boring day, which is a good day I guess.

The whole situation with "B" sooooo did not go the way I planned. Being raised by a single mom, I got kind of a chic flick persona when it comes to romance (umm..ya...AAARRGGH...GO PATRIOTS; me re-assuring myself of my "mahn-lee-ness")

I was planning on doin my whole shindig that I planned out in my head, but boy did that plan backfire, I didn't even get to set it in motion, I don't wanna get into details cuz it's juss lame, but let's just say it didn't pan out as I planned. Oh well, but really though, the whole situation would've made a really good romatic comedy scene of what seems like a sure fire plan....go horribly wrong...

I bought a bunch of Haji "Illegal" DVD's at Camp Scannia the other day...sooo much cheap shit. I bought Garden State..umm...Napolean Dynamite...and I forgot the 3rd one. I saw half of Garden State before the Battery on the DVD player died, and I love that movie. Natalie Portman is awesome, great actress, and she has to be pretty damn smart too; she's studyin Psychology at Harvard (don't ask me how I know...cuz I don't remember..Read it somewhere)

my list for top 5 would be

1. Natalie Portman
2. Mandy Moore
3. Charlize Theron (especially from Sweet November)
4. Ashley Judd
5. Adriana Lima (solely for looks)

Just bought my Canon EOS 20D, the final price with the warranty and other hoopla came to about 2100$...HOLLLYYY SHIIT!!!! I JUST SPEND 2100$, WHAT THE HELL AM I THINKING...BRRREEEAAATHH WHOO WHOO HEE WHHOOO WHHOO HEE...ok I'm better now....just kidding, I think this is gonna be something that I'll be doing for a long long time, maybe minor in it. who knows.

'I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it."
~Author Unknown

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey-- I wanted you to know I found your diary while researching a paper... Wierd I know. Anyways I started reading it (Avoiding writing the paper at all cost) I just thought you should know I read it now and I totally love it. :) And I also wanted to say thanks. You know for everything. Like being a soldier and stuff. I've got a lot of respect for you guys. Anyways-- lol be safe.

-- Cassandra
newestaddition03@yahoo.com

1/08/2005 8:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home